Mr. Johnson—a corporate attorney focusing on mergers and acquisitions, and a former Assistant Counsel to the Governor of New Jersey from 2010 to 2012—relies on his corporate training and experience to inform his comprehensive corporate practice. Helping business clients expand their markets and establish significant presence throughout the region, Mr. Johnson represents public and private companies, commercial banks, and governmental agencies in connection with mergers and acquisitions, stock and asset purchase transactions, securities regulations, corporate governance matters, credit facilities, public finance, contract drafting, cross-border transactions, and general corporate matters. He also has represented clients in negotiations with the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance for specific exemptions and obtaining certain licenses.
In keeping with his service to the state of New Jersey, he handles private placements matters for the New Jersey Division of Investment, and he is assisting firm client Rowan University in its complex, high-profile acquisition of the School of Osteopathic Medicine at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.
Areas of Focus
The components of Mr. Johnson’s practice include:
- Assisting publicly-traded and privately-held companies with their daily corporate activities, including ensuring contract compliance; advising boards of directors on fiduciary and other matters; drafting various corporate documents (senior executive employment agreements, license agreements, etc.); issuing stock certificates; and other fundamental business matters.
- Advising companies on various contractual matters, including license agreements, consulting agreements, confidentiality and non-disclosure agreements, and supply and other general contracts and agreements.
- Advising companies on strategic alliances and mergers and acquisitions. Performing due diligence investigations, typically for a purchaser or seller, in the context of stock or asset acquisitions.
- Advising public companies in connection with matters of compliance with the federal and state securities laws, including the preparation and filing of periodic reports and proxy statements under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934.
- Advising institutional and individual providers of healthcare services, organized delivery systems, independent practice associations, and other related business enterprises in the healthcare sector.
- Representing governmental authorities and businesses in, among other matters, secured commercial financings, lease securitizations, and financings (including new market tax credits transactions).
- Assisting in public finance transactions undertaken by state, county, and municipal governmental entities, including serving as bond counsel, letter of credit bank counsel, underwriter counsel, and trustee counsel. Governmental entities include the New Jersey Health Care Facilities Financing Authority, the New Jersey Educational Facilities Authority, and the New Jersey Economic Development Authority.
- Assisting private entities with licensure related disputes with the Department of Banking and Insurance and the Department of Human Services.
A Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
As Chief Diversity Officer of Gibbons P.C., Mr. Johnson is responsible for overseeing the Gibbons Diversity Initiative (GDI), developing and supporting various platforms to promote and achieve a broadly inclusive workforce and workplace through ethnic, gender, and other forms of diversity. As Chief Diversity Officer, Mr. Johnson also focuses on strengthening GDI’s effectiveness, reach, and impact on the legal community by directing strategies to enhance both the internal components of GDI – training, mentoring, retention, and innovative programming – and its external components, encompassing industry-wide thought leadership, pipeline programs for the profession’s future leaders, engagement with like-minded business associations, community outreach, and supplier diversity.
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D.)
- Thurgood Marshall School of Law
Rice University (B.A.)
- Leadership Rice Participant
- Academic All-Conference WAC
- 1st Team WAC Men’s College Basketball
State of New Jersey
State of New York
New Jersey State Bar Association
Banking Law Section
Defend the Dream, a Kansas City Non-Profit Organization
Legal intern to the Honorable Michael McSpadden, District Criminal Court, Houston, TX
New Jersey Governor Counsel – Assistant counsel for Governor Chris Christie