This attorney has been selected for the recognitions mentioned herein, which have been conferred by the corresponding publications and/or organizations noted. An overview of the award selection methodologies for these recognitions can be found at https://www.gibbonslaw.com/awards. Links to certain specific methodologies are embedded in individual entries. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Frank Cannone is the Chair of the Corporate Group and a member of the Executive Committee at Gibbons P.C. Mr. Cannone’s practice is focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, early-stage and emerging growth, and corporate and securities law. He has extensive experience representing clients in connection with public and private capital raising, private equity, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions (in middle market transactions), public-private-partnerships (P3)/government transactions, alternative energy finance, cross-border transactions, corporate healthcare, venture capital, and other early-stage transactions.
Under Mr. Cannone’s leadership, the Gibbons Corporate Group has become known for its complex and sophisticated transactions and strong capital markets-based approach to corporate practice. As a result, the Gibbons Corporate Group was included on the DOW JONES Private Equity Analyst lists of “Most Active Law Firms” in the nation in private equity transactions for six years in a row. In addition, the Corporate Group has also been included on Chambers USA’s lists in the corporate arena.
For his accomplishments, he was selected as one of only 25 NJBIZ “Leaders in Law” in 2022 and was inducted in 2021 into the Hall of Fame of the Seton Hall Stillman School of Business Center of Innovation and Entrepreneurship. He is listed in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers®, and New Jersey Super Lawyers, and included on The Legal 500’s 2023 M&A Private Practice Powerlist-USA Region.
Of particular note, Mr. Cannone oversaw Gibbons’ handling of the U.S. law as part of a multidisciplinary team led by Deloitte that advised renowned international lifestyle brand, Birkenstock Group, on the sale of a majority stake to L Catterton, the largest, most global consumer-focused private equity firm; this representation led him and Gibbons’ team to be included on the Finance Monthly 2022 “Dealmakers of the Year” list. Additionally, he and his team played a key role in the national rental car industry’s first Public Private Partnership (P3) financing structure, for the development of a $500 million Consolidated Rent-A Car facility at Newark Liberty International Airport. Gibbons was lead counsel to Avis Budget Group, The Hertz Corporation, Enterprise Holdings, Inc. and Advantage Inc. in negotiating the companies’ lease agreements for the new, major facility.
In addition, Mr. Cannone established the Corporate Group’s:
- Governmental Transactions Group to advise clients in connection with Public-Private-Partnerships (P3), complex, highly regulated, and substantial value commercial transactions involving private and governmental sectors. As a result, we recently served as lead counsel to (i) the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority (NJSEA) with its divestiture of the Meadowlands and Monmouth Park Racetracks; (ii) the NJSEA in connection with its commercial interests at the prominent American Dream Meadowlands project (formerly known as Xanadu), and (iii) the New Jersey State Lottery in connection with its privatization and engagement of a private company to provide it with management and other services (only the third State to have done so successfully).
- Cross-Border Transactions Group’s expansion to provide corporate and transactional services to international clients making acquisitions and investments in the United States, as well as to U.S. clients making such investments in international markets.
- Private Equity Group to advise clients regarding fund formations, exits for fund investors, and institutional and public pension funds with their investments. Providing a full scope of selected services including due diligence, fund formation and fundraising, fund administration, portfolio company transactions and exit strategies. Representing private equity funds with respect to their merger and acquisition activities and privately held businesses with their sales to private equity funds.
- Early-Stage Business Practice to advise investor and entrepreneur clients in connection with venture capital and other financings, as well as joint ventures, licensing, strategic alliances, and supply chain arrangements, helping our clients achieve favorable terms and conditions while avoiding pitfalls and minimizing risk, as well as business plans, organizational structures, and investor strategies and presentations, and the full range of corporate services that emerging companies require as they grow, mature, and prosper.
- Renewable Energy Finance Group to advise clients in connection with funding of energy projects, particularly solar, which includes project structures, project finance, long term and bridge financing matters, infrastructure development, federal tax credits, solar renewable energy credit (SRECs), and power purchase agreements, among others.
Mr. Cannone is also:
- A member of the Board of Visitors (Board of Trustees) for the Seton Hall University School of Law.
- Vice Chair of the Board of Advisors for the Seton Hall University Stillman School Center for Entrepreneurial Studies.
- A member of the Association for Corporate Growth, including the ACG Transactional Counsel and CEOs Roundtables.
- A former member of the Executive Committee of the New Jersey Italy Trade Council.
- A former member of NAREIT and Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board Member, Law360.
- Included on Best Lawyers®, New Jersey Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA lists.
- A member of the New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania Bars and a graduate with honors of Boston College and Seton Hall University School of Law.
Mr. Cannone enjoys competing in endurance events: marathons, triathlons, and Ironman competitions.
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Managing Editor, Seton Hall Law Review, 1990-1991
Boston College (B.S., magna cum laude)
State of New Jersey
State of New York
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Seton Hall University School of Law
Board of Visitors
Seton Hall University Stillman School Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
Co-Chair, Board of Advisors
Association of Corporate Growth (ACG) and the ACG In-house Counsel Forum
New Jersey State Bar Association
Former Member, Renewable Energy, Cleantech, and Climate Change Special Committee
New York State Bar Association
New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
Former Board of Trustees Member
New Jersey Italy Trade Council
Former Executive Committee Member
Former Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board Member
Mr. Cannone was previously a partner in the Corporate Department at Paul Hastings in New York City, where he was also Co-Vice Chair of the New York City Office.