Frank Cannone is the Chair of the Corporate Department and a member of the Executive Committee at Gibbons P.C. Mr. Cannone’s practice is focused on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, early-stage and emerging growth, and corporate and securities law. He has extensive experience representing clients in connection with public and private capital raising, private equity, venture capital, mergers and acquisitions (in middle market transactions), public-private-partnerships (P3)/government transactions, alternative energy finance, corporate healthcare, venture capital transactions, and cross border transactions.
Under Mr. Cannone’s leadership, the Gibbons Corporate Department has become known for its complex and sophisticated transactions and strong capital markets- based approach to corporate practice, which makes it unique among New Jersey headquartered firms. As a result, the Gibbons Corporate Department in 2013 earned positions on the DOW JONES Private Equity Analyst lists of “Most Active Law Firms” in the nation in private equity transactions for the sixth year in a row. In addition, the National Law Journal placed Gibbons on its prestigious “Midsize Hot List” of just 20 leading mid-sized law firms in the United States, due in part to the Corporate Department’s experience in handling “major transactions for midmarket companies and middle market deals for major companies.” The Corporate Department has also been ranked and recognized by Chambers USA as a leading force in the corporate arena.
Mr. Cannone has led the expansion of the Corporate Department’s services and value-added offerings to become one of the region’s top corporate practices. Of particular note, following the passage of the historic New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Restructuring Act, which mandated the re-allocation of New Jersey medical educational institutions and facilities among several existing New Jersey institutions of higher education, Gibbons served as a key player in connection with the implementation of the Restructuring Act in 2013. Mr. Cannone and his team served as lead counsel to Rowan University, which, under the Restructuring Act, was allocated the School of Osteopathic Medicine (among other assets), divested from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. The divesture is viewed as one of the largest and most complex higher education mergers in United States history and was recognized by The Bond Buyer for its prestigious and nationally recognized Health Care Deal of the Year for 2013.
In addition, Mr. Cannone established the Corporate Department’s:
- Governmental Transactions Group to advise clients in connection with Public-Private-Partnerships (P3), complex, highly regulated, and substantial value commercial transactions involving private and governmental sectors. As a result, we recently served as lead counsel to (i) the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority (NJSEA) with its divestiture of the Meadowlands and Monmouth Park Racetracks; (ii) the NJSEA in connection with its commercial interests at the prominent American Dream Meadowlands project (formerly known as Xanadu), and (iii) the State Lottery in connection with its engagement of a private company to provide it with management and other services (only the third State to have done so successfully).
- Cross-Border Transactions Group to provide corporate and transactional services to international clients making acquisitions and investments in the United States, as well as to U.S. clients making such investments in international markets.
- Early-Stage Business Practice to advise investor and entrepreneur clients in connection with venture capital and other financings, as well as joint ventures, licensing, strategic alliances, and supply chain arrangements, helping our clients achieve favorable terms and conditions while avoiding pitfalls and minimizing risk, as well as business plans, organizational structures, and investor strategies and presentations, and the full range of corporate services that emerging companies require as they grow, mature, and prosper.
- Renewable Energy Finance Group to advise clients in connection with funding of energy projects, particularly solar, which includes project structures, project finance, long term and bridge financing matters, infrastructure development, federal tax credits, solar renewable energy credit (SRECs), and power purchase agreements, among others.
- Corporate Healthcare Practice to provide counsel on management arrangements; licensing and qualification issues; managed care arrangements (including IPAs, PHOs, HMOs, MSOs, and other entities); mergers and acquisitions; contractual matters; employment matters; practice structures; antitrust issues; partnership arrangements; joint ventures; corporate and tax matters; securities issues; reimbursement issues; employee assistance; hospice and wellness programs; environmental matters, including medical waste disposal; patient referral issues; advance directives; and patient and other confidentiality requirements.
Mr. Cannone is also:
- A member of the Board of Visitors (Board of Trustees) for the Seton Hall University School of Law.
- A member of the Board of Advisors for the Seton Hall University Stillman School Center for Entrepreneurial Studies.
- A former member of the Executive Committee of the New Jersey Italy Trade Council.
- A member of the Association for Corporate Growth, including the ACG Transactional Counsel and CEOs Roundtables.
- A former member of NAREIT and Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board Member, Law360.
- Listed in Best Lawyers®, New Jersey Super Lawyers, and Chambers USA.
- A member of the New Jersey and New York Bars and a graduate with honors of Boston College and Seton Hall University School of Law.
Mr. Cannone enjoys competing in endurance events: marathons, triathlons, and Ironman competitions.
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Managing Editor, Seton Hall Law Review, 1990-1991
Boston College (B.S., magna cum laude)
State of New Jersey
State of New York
New Jersey State Bar Association
Renewable Energy, Cleantech, and Climate Change Special Committee
New York State Bar Association
Seton Hall University Stillman School Center for Entrepreneurial Studies
Board of Advisors
New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
Former Board of Trustees Member
Seton Hall University School of Law
Board of Visitors
New Jersey Italy Trade Council
Former Executive Committee Member
Association of Corporate Growth (ACG) and the ACG CEO Roundtable
Project Finance Editorial Advisory Board Member, 2013
Mr. Cannone was previously a partner in the Corporate Department at Paul Hastings in New York City, where he was also Co-Vice Chair of the New York City Office.