Gibbons Recognized as a Leading Firm in 2021 Chambers USA Guide
May 21, 2021
The 2021 edition of the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business features the highest number of Gibbons P.C. attorneys and practices ever ranked in the publication, recognizing 28 firm attorneys and eleven practice areas. Four attorneys and one practice were selected for the first time this year.
One of the legal industry’s leading client- and peer-review resources, Chambers annually rates the nation’s leading business lawyers and law firms through comprehensive interviews with top companies, attorneys, and business executives, plus extensive supplementary research.
“We particularly appreciate the enthusiastic feedback our clients provided to the Chambers USA Guide this past year, which we know was a major factor in our achievement of these stellar rankings, in firm-record numbers,” said Patrick C. Dunican Jr., Chairman and Managing Director of Gibbons. “Such positive client reviews indicate that we have been able to sustain and deepen these very important relationships even in the unprecedented circumstances of 2020 and 2021.”
The Chambers excerpts and client testimonials included below highlight the Gibbons practice groups that ranked in the guide’s top three tiers for New Jersey:
Bankruptcy/Restructuring: A well-regarded group with experience acting for both creditors and debtors. Expertise includes workouts and insolvency counseling, bankruptcy litigation and foreclosure actions. The team works across a number of industries with expertise in environment, healthcare and financial services. Works closely with specialists from other departments to provide a comprehensive bankruptcy service.
- “They have a high level of responsiveness.”
- “It is a very skilled legal team.”
Construction: Well-known practice which frequently represents general contractors and owners in contract drafting and negotiation, P3 matters, litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Experienced in claims involving design and construction defects, delay, public bidding and breach of contract.
- Sources commend the firm’s “excellent attorneys.”
Environment: Offers first-class representation in private sector environmental litigation as well as enforcement actions brought by regulatory agencies. Navigates the matrix of regulations affecting real estate transactions, enabling clients to meet business aims. Dispenses exceptional compliance advice in connection with environmental matters, from air and water pollution to asbestos and development permits.
- “They are a very good law firm, who occupy a prominent role in the space.”
Healthcare: Handles a broad spectrum of healthcare matters including fraud and abuse issues, state and federal compliance, labor and employment, and HIPAA work. Advises on a range of corporate transactions and privacy matters. Acts for a wide range of healthcare providers and professionals including physicians, hospital systems, medical laboratories and long-term care providers. Also takes on notable work with health insurers and nonprofit healthcare organizations.
- “I have nothing but excellent things to say about Gibbons.”
- “The firm employs highly competent professionals in a variety of areas. Their strengths are in responsiveness and professionalism.”
- “They are very responsive and a very good regional law firm for sophisticated work.”
Intellectual Property: Established firm offering a broad range of IP expertise, including litigation, transactions and IP portfolio development. Acts for a wide array of clients, from industries including pharmaceuticals, technology and consumer products. Demonstrates particular expertise in Hatch-Waxman litigation and is also noted for its counsel on e-discovery issues.
- [The team] “understands what is important to in-house counsel and is very responsive.”
Labor & Employment: Renowned for the depth of its experience in employment litigation and compliance counseling, with significant expertise in labor relations and restrictive covenant matters. Regularly assists clients with issues relating to workplace discrimination and harassment, including in-house training and internal investigations. Active across a number of industries, often acting for financial services, pharmaceutical and insurance companies, as well as government entities and higher education institutions. Possesses additional strength in whistle-blower and wage and hour claims. Capable of advising on matters throughout the USA as well as those with a cross-border element.
- “I am confident Gibbons will be able to step up to any matter and I would recommend the firm to other companies like my own.”
- “Gibbons is very accommodating and well connected with regard to state and federal government.”
- [The team is] “extremely practical,” adding: “They go point by point when giving advice in a really easy to understand way.”
Litigation – General Commercial, Products Liability, and White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations: Regional litigation powerhouse that acts on high-stakes disputes involving an impressive range of issues including ERISA class actions, breach of contract claims and shareholder derivative actions. Also recognized for its broad coverage of product liability litigation, which includes expertise in cutting-edge consumer fraud disputes. Demonstrates additional strength in handling mass torts and class actions on a nationwide scale. Maintains a strong bench of white-collar criminal defense experts, including notable former prosecutors, who act on large-scale investigations and enforcement proceedings across a range of industries. Impressive New Jersey presence is augmented by offices in New York, Delaware and Pennsylvania.
- “It’s a powerhouse firm.”
- “They are zealous advocates and always act professionally and efficiently.”
- “They’re very responsive to my needs.”
Real Estate: Highly regarded mainstay of the New Jersey market with breadth and depth across a wide range of real estate matters such as acquisitions, dispositions and redevelopment projects. Acts for major clients including owners, developers, retailers and corporate entities. Local government land use work remains a strong area for the team. Notable expertise in projects concerning industrial, retail and mixed-use sites.
- “The attorneys that we work with are competent, work efficiently and, most importantly, are strategic.”
- “One of the best and brightest law firms I have ever dealt with,”
- “I have a tremendous amount of confidence in them and respect for them.”
- “They know the landscape in New Jersey and they know the people like the back of their hand. They have the resources and people to help with anything both in real estate and land use.”
Tax: Well-regarded tax practice with a wealth of experience advising clients on a range of transactional tax matters. Offers notable expertise in tax structuring as well as regulatory and compliance matters. Experienced in state, local and federal tax matters. Clients range from startups to global corporations.
- “The team as a whole work really well together and have a very personal feel. We find them to be superior at achieving goals.”
- “The team works well together to handle all aspects of a transaction, whether corporate, tax or regulatory. Gibbons is a full-service law firm that can address any corporate client’s needs.”
In addition, 28 Gibbons attorneys earned individual rankings and similar client affirmation:
Christine A. Amalfe, Labor & Employment
Russell B. Bershad, Real Estate
Kelly Ann Bird, Labor & Employment
Frank T. Cannone, Corporate/M&A
Kim M. Catullo, Litigation: Products Liability
Mark B. Conlan, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
David N. Crapo, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
David E. De Lorenzi, Intellectual Property
David J. Freeman, Environment
Karen A. Giannelli, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Michael R. Griffinger, Litigation: General Commercial
William S. Hatfield, Environment
Douglas J. Janacek, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use
John H. Klock, Environment
Bruce A. Levy, Healthcare and Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Lawrence S. Lustberg, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Robert J. MacPherson, Construction
Robert K. Malone, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Michael R. McDonald, Litigation: General Commercial
Susan L. Nardone, Labor & Employment
Camille V. Otero, Environment
Susanne Peticolas, Environment
Damian V. Santomauro, Construction
Jennifer Phillips Smith, Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use
Natasha Songonuga, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Kristin D. Sostowski, Labor & Employment
Peter J. Torcicollo, Construction and Litigation: General Commercial
Peter J. Ulrich, Tax
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the selection process methodology for the awards referenced is available at gibbonslaw.com/awards.