Gibbons Recognized as a Leading Firm in 2020 Chambers USA Guide
April 23, 2020
The 2020 edition of the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business features ten Gibbons P.C. practice areas, with 25 Gibbons attorneys earning individual ranking and recognition.
Chambers annually rates the nation’s leading business lawyers and law firms through comprehensive interviews with top companies, attorneys, and business executives, plus extensive supplementary research.
“Each year that our firm and our attorneys receive such positive feedback in the Chambers USA guide is a true testament to the relationships we strive to create and maintain with our clients,” said Patrick C. Dunican Jr., Chairman and Managing Director of Gibbons.
The Chambers excerpts and client testimonials included below highlight the Gibbons practice groups that ranked in the guide’s top three tiers for New Jersey:
Bankruptcy/Restructuring: A well-regarded group with experience acting for both creditors and debtors. Expertise includes workouts and insolvency counseling, bankruptcy litigation and foreclosure actions. The team works across a number of industries with expertise in environment, healthcare and financial services. Works closely with specialists from other departments to provide a comprehensive bankruptcy service.
- “The partners are great leaders and the associates are fantastic attorneys at reasonable rates; they do a great job of managing everything to a budget.”
- “Overall the attorneys are thoughtful, strategic, cost-conscious, engaged and able to follow through; price-wise you get excellent value for money.”
Construction: Well-known practice which frequently represents general contractors and owners in contract drafting and negotiation, P3 matters, litigation and alternative dispute resolution. Experienced in claims involving design and construction defects, delay, public bidding and breach of contract.
- “They are top-notch lawyers,” [who are] “very responsive and very easy to deal with.”
Environment: Offers first-class representation in private sector environmental litigation as well as enforcement actions brought by regulatory agencies. Navigates the matrix of regulations affecting real estate transactions, enabling clients to meet business aims. Dispenses exceptional compliance advice in connection with environmental matters, from air and water pollution to asbestos and development permits.
- “What distinguishes the firm from its competitors is its strategic thinking.”
Healthcare: Handles a broad spectrum of healthcare matters including fraud and abuse issues, state and federal compliance, labor and employment, and HIPAA work. Advises on a range of corporate transactions and privacy matters. Acts for a wide range of healthcare providers and professionals including physicians, hospital systems, medical laboratories and long-term care providers. Also takes on notable work with health insurers and nonprofit healthcare organizations.
- [A] “well-coordinated group that always focuses on putting the client first.”
- [The firm’s] “use of data and analytics, which adds an extra layer of information and insight to reassure us that we are on the right path.”
- “The firm is responsive and has tremendous knowledge and expertise.”
Intellectual Property: Established firm offering a broad range of IP expertise, including litigation, transactions and IP portfolio development. Acts for a wide array of clients, from industries including pharmaceuticals, technology and consumer products. Demonstrates particular expertise in Hatch-Waxman litigation and is also noted for its counsel on e-discovery issues.
- “Gibbons is excellent on patent litigation and prosecution, and it has a good suite of folks.”
- “They have a wide-ranging practice and good lawyers.”
Labor & Employment: Renowned for the depth of its experience in employment litigation and compliance counseling, with significant expertise in labor relations and restrictive covenant matters. Regularly assists clients with issues relating to workplace discrimination and harassment, including in-house training and internal investigations. Active across a number of industries, often acting for financial services, pharmaceutical and insurance companies, as well as government entities and higher education institutions. Possesses additional strength in whistle-blower and wage and hour claims. Capable of advising on matters throughout the USA as well as those with a cross-border element.
- “The team is very close-knit – they work well together and recognize each other’s strengths to the benefit of the client. They are easy to get hold of and are responsive – if one person is out of the office someone else will step in and respond.”
- “As a team they are very responsive to our needs and keep us well informed.”
Litigation – General Commercial, Products Liability, and White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations: Regional litigation powerhouse that acts on high-stakes disputes involving an impressive range of issues including ERISA class actions, breach of contract claims and shareholder derivative actions. Also recognized for its broad coverage of product liability litigation, which includes expertise in cutting-edge consumer fraud disputes. Demonstrates additional strength in handling mass torts and class actions on a nationwide scale. Maintains a strong bench of white-collar criminal defense experts, including notable former prosecutors, who act on large-scale investigations and enforcement proceedings across a range of industries. Impressive New Jersey presence is augmented by offices in New York, Delaware and Pennsylvania.
- “It’s a well-respected New Jersey firm with a huge litigation practice,” adding that “they are formidable adversaries.”
- “They can put a team together that handles complex litigation.”
- “They work together well internally – their communication and responsibilities are clear.”
Real Estate: Highly regarded mainstay of the New Jersey market with breadth and depth across a wide range of real estate matters such as acquisitions, dispositions and redevelopment projects. Acts for major clients including owners, developers, retailers and corporate entities. Local government land use work remains a strong area for the team. Notable expertise in projects concerning industrial, retail and mixed-use sites.
- “They’re very responsive with a clear understanding of the desired objectives, which they work diligently to achieve.”
- “The attorneys are willing to listen and clearly articulate the risks in order to inform any decisions.”
- “The firm provides fantastic client service, taking the time to know our business and culture.”
In addition, 25 Gibbons attorneys earned individual ranking and recognition:
Christine A. Amalfe, Labor & Employment
Russell B. Bershad, Real Estate
Kelly Ann Bird, Labor & Employment
Frank T. Cannone, Corporate/M&A
Kim M. Catullo, Litigation: Products Liability
Mark B. Conlan, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
David N. Crapo, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
David E. De Lorenzi, Intellectual Property
David J. Freeman, Environment
Karen A. Giannelli, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Michael R. Griffinger, Litigation: General Commercial
William S. Hatfield, Environment
John H. Klock, Environment
Bruce A. Levy, Healthcare and Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Lawrence S. Lustberg, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Robert J. MacPherson, Construction
Robert K. Malone, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Michael R. McDonald, Litigation: General Commercial
Brian J. McMahon, Litigation: General Commercial
Susan L. Nardone, Labor & Employment
Camille V. Otero, Environment
Susanne Peticolas, Environment
Natasha Songonuga, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Kristin D. Sostowski, Labor & Employment
Peter J. Torcicollo, Construction and Litigation: General Commercial
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
A description of the selection process methodology for the awards referenced is available at gibbonslaw.com/awards/.