Gibbons Recognized as a Leading Firm in 2019 Chambers USA Guide
April 26, 2019
The 2019 edition of the Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business features ten Gibbons P.C. practice areas, with 23 Gibbons attorneys earning individual ranking and recognition.
Chambers annually rates the nation’s leading business lawyers and law firms through comprehensive interviews with top companies, attorneys, and business executives, plus extensive supplementary research.
“The positive feedback that our firm and attorneys receive each year in Chambers – from both the publication itself and the client references who support our rankings – is major validation of our exceptional legal and client service,” said Patrick C. Dunican Jr., Chairman and Managing Director of Gibbons.
The Chambers excerpts and client testimonials included below highlight the Gibbons practice groups that ranked in the guide’s top three tiers for New Jersey:
Bankruptcy/Restructuring: A well-regarded group with experience acting for both creditors and debtors. Expertise includes workouts and insolvency counseling, bankruptcy litigation and foreclosure actions. The team works across a number of industries with expertise in environment, healthcare and financial services. Works closely with specialists from other departments to provide a comprehensive bankruptcy service.
- “I do a lot of litigation and the firm is always keeping me up to date and making sure I’m involved.”
- “They’re a very easy set of attorneys to work with – they’re very thoughtful, strategic and proactive. I really enjoy working with them.”
Corporate/M&A: Active in M&A and divestitures, and stands out for its expertise in regulatory compliance and healthcare transactions. Also notable for its work on public-private partnerships.
- “The team is always a great choice to work with. The attorneys are very detail-oriented and you can be assured the work will be well researched and done properly.”
- “The firm is well respected in the public finance arena.”
Environment: Offers first-class representation in private sector environmental litigation as well as enforcement actions brought by regulatory agencies. Navigates the matrix of regulations affecting real estate transactions, enabling clients to meet business aims. Dispenses exceptional compliance advice in connection with environmental matters, from air and water pollution to asbestos and development permits.
- “They are very much involved with urban redevelopment and they have a very large footprint.”
- “The firm has a lot of depth.”
Healthcare: Handles a broad spectrum of healthcare matters including fraud and abuse issues, state and federal compliance, labor and employment, and HIPAA work. Also advises on a range of corporate transactions and privacy matters. Acts for a wide range of healthcare providers and professionals including physicians, hospital systems, medical laboratories and long-term care providers. Also takes on notable work with health insurers and nonprofit healthcare organizations.
- “They listen to their clients; they are very thorough and communicative and share their data in a way that is easy to interpret.”
- “We get really top talent servicing our account, whatever the question or challenge.”
- “Consistency is one of their strengths, something they should be very proud of.”
Intellectual Property: Established firm offering a broad range of IP expertise, including litigation, transactions and IP portfolio development. Acts for a wide array of clients, from industries including pharmaceuticals, technology, retail and leisure. Demonstrates particular expertise in handling Hatch-Waxman litigation and is also noted for its counsel on e-discovery issues.
- “They are excellent, they have some terrific lawyers.”
- “They are a really high-quality firm.”
- “We are very happy with the team. They provide a vast amount of services with dedicated specialists.”
Labor & Employment: Renowned for the depth of its experience in employment litigation and compliance counseling, with significant expertise in labor relations and restrictive covenant matters. Regularly assists clients with issues relating to workplace discrimination and harassment, including in-house training and internal investigations. Active across a number of industries, often acting for financial services, pharmaceutical and insurance companies, as well as government entities and higher education institutions. Possesses additional strength in whistle-blower and wage and hour claims. Capable of advising on matters throughout the USA as well as those with a cross-border element. Sources praise the team’s “real talent,” adding:
- “They have excellent attorneys.”
- “I love working with them and think very highly of the firm. They have a very practical approach to dealing with things.”
- “Gibbons is our go-to law firm on high-profile employment litigation They offer substantive knowledge, responsiveness and sensitivity to our concerns. They’re really in tune with us as a client.”
Litigation – General Commercial, Products Liability, and White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations: Regional litigation powerhouse that acts on high-stakes disputes involving an impressive range of issues including ERISA class actions, breach of contract claims and shareholder derivative actions. Also recognized for its broad coverage of product liability litigation, which includes expertise in cutting-edge consumer fraud disputes. Demonstrates additional strength in handling mass torts and class actions on a nationwide scale. Maintains a strong bench of white-collar criminal defense experts, including notable former prosecutors, who act on large-scale investigations and enforcement proceedings across a range of industries. Impressive New Jersey presence is augmented by offices in New York, Delaware and Pennsylvania.
- “It’s an incredible firm. They hire well and their customer service is top.”
- “[Gibbons’ white-collar practice] really comes to mind as being particularly strong. They have several former federal prosecutors and they do an excellent job. They offer a well-rounded service.”
- “They’re very practical and they’re always very clear with me as to what our options are. They’re good communicators.”
Real Estate: Highly regarded mainstay of the New Jersey market with breadth and depth across a wide range of real estate matters such as acquisitions, dispositions and redevelopment projects. Acts for major clients including owners, developers, retailers and corporate entities. Local government land use work remains a strong area for the team. Notable expertise in projects concerning industrial, retail and mixed-use sites.
- “[T]hey are very experienced in the New Jersey real estate market. They are able to do very sophisticated work.”
- “Gibbons marries technical expertise with good business sense.”
- “They know their local market well. They are a true partner and responsive to our particular needs. They adapt to whatever we require.”
In addition, 23 Gibbons attorneys earned individual ranking and recognition:
Christine A. Amalfe, Labor & Employment
Russell B. Bershad, Real Estate
Kelly Ann Bird, Labor & Employment
Frank T. Cannone, Corporate/M&A
Kim M. Catullo, Litigation: Products Liability
Mark B. Conlan, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
David N. Crapo, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
David E. De Lorenzi, Intellectual Property
David J. Freeman, Environment
Irvin M. Freilich, Environment
Karen A. Giannelli, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
Michael R. Griffinger, Litigation: General Commercial
William S. Hatfield, Environment
John H. Klock, Environment
Bruce A. Levy, Healthcare and Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Lawrence S. Lustberg, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations
Michael R. McDonald, Litigation: General Commercial
Brian J. McMahon, Litigation: General Commercial
Susan L. Nardone, Labor & Employment
Camille V. Otero, Environment
Susanne Peticolas, Environment
Peter J. Torcicollo, Litigation: General Commercial
Natasha Songonuga, Bankruptcy/Restructuring
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. A description of the selection process methodology for the awards referenced is available at gibbonslaw.com/awards/.