Mr. McDonald leads the firm’s Consumer Class Action Defense Team, which the New Jersey Law Journal named the “Class Action Litigation Department of the Year” for 2017. He represents businesses in a broad range of unfair business practice/consumer class actions and complex commercial disputes. He is recognized for his work in connection with consumer protection and advertising laws, and he uses his experience to achieve cost-effective, efficient results for his clients through the early and strategic use of motions to dispose of cases or by positioning them for favorable settlements. Mr. McDonald has repeatedly been selected for inclusion on the New Jersey Super Lawyers list, Best Lawyers®, and Chambers USA Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers for Business publications.
Mr. McDonald has extensive experience in complex litigation including consumer fraud and consumer product related class action lawsuits, asserting claims under the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, California consumer protection statutes, New York General Business Law, Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Uniform Commercial Code, False Claims Act, California Secret Warranty law, California Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, New Jersey Product Liability Act, New Jersey Truth in Consumer Contract Warranty & Notice Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act, and New Jersey Gift Card Act, as well as toxic tort matters.
Areas of Focus
Class Action Litigation
- Defense of automobile manufacturers in class actions arising out of alleged product defects or failure to honor warranties.
- Defense of manufacturers and suppliers of dietary supplements, food products, pharmaceuticals, and medical devices.
- Defense of suppliers of natural wood shingles in class action litigation.
- Defense of rent-to-own companies in defense of contracts and compliance with applicable retail installment sales laws.
- Defense of publishers and other companies in a wide array of industries for alleged violations of Telephone Consumer Protection Act and related junk fax and robo-call laws.
- Defense of manufacturers of consumer products (printers, cameras, consumer electronics, and cosmetics, among others) in class actions arising out of alleged product defects or failure to honor warranties.
- Defense of manufacturers in environmental class actions.
- Defense of businesses in False Claims Act litigation.
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
Georgetown University (B.A.)
State of New Jersey
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
Supreme Court of the United States
New Jersey State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Tort and Insurance Practice Section
Pennsylvania Bar Association
Commercial Litigation Committee
Drug & Medical Device Committee
Richard J. Hughes American Inn of Court
Law Clerk to the Honorable Herman D. Michels, Presiding Judge for Administration of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Appellate Division, 1987-1988.