This attorney has been selected for the recognitions mentioned herein, which have been conferred by the corresponding publications and/or organizations noted. An overview of the award selection methodologies for these recognitions can be found at https://www.gibbonslaw.com/awards. Links to certain specific methodologies are embedded in individual entries. Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Mr. Camelotto has extensive experience in commercial real estate law, with a focus on acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, development and redevelopment, and real estate financing, particularly in New Jersey and New York. He represents a wide range of clients, from Fortune 500 companies to family owned-and-operated real estate development companies. Mr. Camelotto understands that the strategic goals of each client determine the most critical issues in any commercial real estate transaction.
His experience includes representation of sellers and purchasers, landlords and tenants, borrowers and lenders, and developers and state agencies on a variety of purchase and sale, leasing, finance, and development transactions, including commercial, industrial, retail, multi-family, and mixed-use properties. He has a wealth of experience in drafting and negotiating key real estate documents, including purchase and sale agreements, leases, loan agreements, redevelopment agreements, financial (PILOT) agreements, infrastructure agreements, and easements.
Areas of Focus
Acquisitions and Dispositions
Mr. Camelotto assists both buyers and sellers in a variety of acquisitions and dispositions, including commercial, industrial, retail, multi-family, and mixed-use properties. Some of his representative matters include:
- Counsel for a leading gold coast developer on the multi-phase disposition of acres of waterfront property worth over $200 million that included several multi-family buildings, retail and restaurant space, and various public amenities.
- Counsel for one of the region’s largest integrated healthcare providers on a transaction that included five closings in one day. The transaction facilitated the expansion of an existing hospital campus and the construction of other healthcare facilities on adjacent parcels.
- Counsel for a private developer on the acquisition of a parcel containing more than 100 acres in New York for a project anticipated to include more than 1,500 residential units and 300,000 square feet of retail space, along with community facilities and conservation areas.
- Team attorney for a major international pharmaceutical company in its acquisition of over 85 acres of land as part of a significant expansion of its existing headquarters.
Real Estate Financing
Mr. Camelotto advises landlords and tenants on all aspects of lease transactions, including ancillary lease issues, such as subordination agreements and commission agreements. Some of Mr. Camelotto’s representative matters include:
- Lead counsel for a joint venture between a private developer and a public REIT in connection with an approximately $50 million construction loan for a multi-family project in Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Counsel for a joint venture developer on over $500 million in construction, mezzanine, and permanent financings of a multi-phase mixed-use project consisting of more than 1,300 units, a hotel, and retail space.
- Counsel for a mezzanine lender on predevelopment and acquisition financing of approximately $12 million to fund demolition and environmental remediation costs relating to a project planned for approximately 600 multi-family units and 25,000 square feet of retail space.
- Counsel for a joint venture among multiple private developers in connection with construction and mezzanine loans of more than $50 million for a hotel with 200+ rooms and ground floor retail space.
Mr. Camelotto advises landlords and tenants on all aspects of lease transactions, including ancillary lease issues such as subordination agreements and commission agreements. His clients include corporate clients and real estate development companies. Some of his representative matters include:
- Lead counsel for a private developer in the leasing of mixed-use office and retail projects in northern New Jersey, including long-term leases with several major retail and bank tenants.
- Counsel for a major corporate tenant on an office lease relating to the relocation of its corporate headquarters. The leased premises consists of over 300,000 square feet, with the tenant committing over $200 million to the transaction.
- Lead counsel for a state agency in connection with the proposed acquisition of industrial property and the simultaneous lease-back pursuant to a financeable long-term lease agreement.
- Lead counsel on the negotiation of a financeable ground lease relating to the expansion of a major healthcare facility.
Development and Redevelopment
Mr. Camelotto advises developers, redevelopers, and state agencies on various development and redevelopment projects, including the negotiation of redevelopment agreements, financial (PILOT) agreements, and infrastructure agreements. He has also secured a number of land use approvals for clients and appears before municipalities on behalf of clients seeking development approvals. Some of Mr. Camelotto’s representative matters include:
- Lead counsel in negotiating a complex redevelopment agreement and obtaining multiple redevelopment approvals for a private redeveloper on an urban mixed-use project being coordinated with various public infrastructure components.
- Lead counsel for a redeveloper controlling over 80 acres of waterfront property regarding all aspects of a planned, multi-phased redevelopment project.
- Counsel for an education and research institution on securing permits and approvals for the development of multiple state-of-the-art educational STEM facilities, including a pedestrian walkway bridge over a major public right of way.
- Counsel for a major healthcare company on its acquisition and assembly of multiple properties in northern New Jersey for the redevelopment of the property into a major healthcare facility.
- Representation of a private developer in securing local approvals for the development of a high-rise building consisting of over 30 stories and more than 300 residential rental units, along with ground floor retail and structured parking.
Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., cum laude)
- Associate Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Interscholastic Moot Court
- Recipient: Joseph Santosuosso Memorial Real Property Award; Best Paper by a Graduating Student Advanced Legal Writing Award
- 2009-2010 Seton Hall Law Success Scholarship
The College of New Jersey (B.A.)
State of New Jersey
State of New York
Essex County Bar Association
American Bar Association
NAIOP Developing Leaders
New Jersey Chapter
Judicial extern to the Honorable Claire Cecchi, USMJ, United States District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2009
Fresh Air Fund
Co-Chair, Battle of the Barristers Charity Softball Tournament, 2014
New Jersey Law and Education Empowerment Program (NJ LEEP)
Shepherds of Youth Charitable Trust
Pro Bono Practice: Mr. Camelotto has counseled several nonprofit organizations on real estate and development matters, including:
- Advising the Urban League of Essex County on its first ever redevelopment project in the City of Newark.
- Representing a nonprofit conservation organization in its successful application to renovate a historic landmark into its headquarters and visitors center.
- Representing a nonprofit organization on the redevelopment of a downtown park, including advice on a restaurant license agreement and the restoration of an historic monument.
- Advising a nonprofit organization on applications to obtain funding for the development of affordable, integrated housing for individuals with developmental disabilities.
Real Estate Associate, Drinker Biddle & Reath, LLP, 2011-2014