Gibbons continues to distinguish itself from other leading middle market corporate law practices, by combining an acclaimed business/transactional/M&A foundation with growing niche practices. Private Equity Analyst
, a DOW JONES publication, has named Gibbons among the top-ranked firms for both number of funds and number of deals; the firm’s Corporate Department’s Private Equity practice has appeared on both these prestigious lists for the last six consecutive calendar years, the only New Jersey law firm to obtain that status. Similarly, Gibbons was selected by the National Law Journal
among only 20 midsized law firms (50-300 attorneys) in the entire U.S. for its inaugural “Midsize Hot List”; among the key qualifications listed was our Corporate Department’s experience in handling “major transactions for mid-market companies and middle market deals for major companies.”
Gibbons Corporate Department attorneys provide multifaceted, practical corporate and transactional representation to many domestic and international business and finance clients in complex to routine matters covering all aspects of corporate law. In addition to our market practice areas, we have focused corporate sub-practices geared to a continually evolving legal marketplace, with business clients requiring value-added, focused services to meet their changing business needs, including business transactions, including M&A; capital markets; cross-border transactions; distressed situations; fund formation, operation, and investments; private equity; public finance; public-private partnerships (P3) and governmental transactions; securities and commodities laws, capital raising, and compliance; investment banking advisory service; solar energy finance; tax; trusts & estates; executive compensation; and venture capital and emerging companies. Our entrepreneurial approach has a highly successful track record in recognizing and meeting changing market demands.
Our Corporate Clients
We represent a broad range of business-oriented entities, groups and organizations, including:
- Acquiring entities and selling companies and their shareholders and other stakeholders
- Private equity groups, institutional and pension fund investors, hedge funds, holding companies, and real estate investment groups, as both active and passive investors
- Closely held businesses and family businesses
- Service organizations, manufacturers, distribution businesses, transportation companies, and retail chains
- Financial institutions
- Government/state, county, local authorities
- Limited liability companies and other alternative business entities
- Mid-market companies and Fortune 1000 companies in mid-market transactions
- Partnerships and operating companies
- Passive investors in various investment vehicles, including private equity, hedge funds, and real estate investment trusts
- Public corporations
- Real estate development, investment, and management companies
- Entrepreneurs and startup businesses
- Technology companies, such as biotechnology and telecommunications
- Pharmaceutical companies and industry-related businesses
- Healthcare providers and healthcare management and financial services companies
Our Corporate Advice
We advise and represent our clients with respect to:
- Asset and stock purchases and sales
- Mergers and acquisitions, including sales and purchases of businesses, business division divestitures, and business related transactions
- Debt/senior, subordinated, and mezzanine
- Equity investments, including private offerings, downrounds, and PIPEs (private investment in public entities)
- Private equity and venture capital funds
- Debt financings including asset based and cashflow lending transactions; financing alternative analysis
- Choice of entity analysis, formation and organization of new businesses, capitalization, related requirements
- Investor services
- Executive compensation
- Leasing/planning, financing, structuring, etc.
- Special projects, such as refinancings and recapitalizations
- Corporate real estate transactions
- Tax-related structures
- Defense and prosecution of business claims, disputes, and litigation
- Labor and employment issues
- For-profit and non-profit entities
- Securities and commodities laws, including public and private offerings, capital market regulations, and compliance
- Shareholder agreements, buy-sell, cross-purchase, and other succession planning
- Business agreements, supply, outsourcing, tolling, strategic alliances, and all other supply management/logistics-related structures and transactions
- Cybersecurity and e-commerce matters
- Derivative and swaps registrations and documentation
- All day-to-day business legal needs
General Corporate Services
We are a full-service business practice for all business entities, structures and organizations, public and private, including handling all significant as well as day-to-day matters and issues. Our focus is value added/cost effective/responsive and practical advice. For example, on a day-in-day-out basis we provide our clients with commercial contract review, advice, drafting, negotiation, and execution in manufacturing, outsourcing, supply, distribution, service, employment, technology, and licensing.
We regularly advise business clients on a wide range of governance issues, advising boards of directors, managers, officers, shareholders, and stakeholders. We review and maintain books and records to facilitate compliance and risk reduction. Our attorneys include former General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officers who can offer direct experience for implementing state-of-the-art compliance and risk management programs. We handle a full range of corporate investigations.
We represent borrowers and lenders in a broad range of financing transactions, including long and short-term traditional working capital, asset-based credit facilities, bridge loans and acquisition financings, secured/unsecured, leveraged leasing, syndications, and participations, handling all aspects from negotiation and documentation to closing. We also introduce our valued clients to our many traditional and non-traditional lending, financing, and funding sources and relationships.
Gibbons has a deep and varied background in healthcare. The mission of the Healthcare Team is to represent leaders in the healthcare sector in connection with their sophisticated and complex legal issues and transactions, helping them meet the challenges of the changing healthcare delivery system environment. The attorneys on the Gibbons Healthcare Team are widely recognized for their exceptional talents, skills, and insight and are deeply involved in healthcare issues on a broader scale.
Our Healthcare Team represents the range of healthcare providers and professionals, helping them meet the challenges of the changing healthcare delivery model, including: hospitals, hospital systems, medical centers, and licensed ambulatory care facilities; physicians, as well as multi-specialty physician group practices; home healthcare providers, visiting nurse associations, and hospice agencies; long-term care providers; adult medical day care facilities; medical laboratories; orthopaedic device companies; health plans; nonprofit organizations, including trade associations and charitable and public interest organizations; and collaborative entities involved in the planning and delivery of healthcare. While our practice primarily has involved providers in New Jersey and New York, we also counsel clients on activities in other states and have worked with local counsel in other states on issues related to healthcare certification, licensure, and operations.